Sunday, July 11, 2010

Farmer's Market haul

So I guess I wasn't clear enough in my last post, so let me say it this way. If I am given the choice between two local farmers, one conventional and one organic/traditional, I'll go with the latter. If I have to choose between local conventional and big organic corprorate agri, I'll still choose local and just make sure I wash the produce well.

But anyway, I went to the Natick Farmer's Market for a quick spin, and I picked up 2 smoked marinated chicken breasts (all I had to do was heat them, or not...they taste good cold), 1 lb ground grass fed beef, 4 ears of corn, 1 dozen duck eggs, 1 lb potatoes, 1/2 lb chive fromage blanc, 2 heads of broccoli, and a head of red leaf lettuce. Since my CSA pickup is tomorrow, I didn't want to go overboard. Next Saturday I can fill in the blanks easier.

I was amused by the cheese lady (from whom I got the fromage blanc). Apparently she loved my suggestion to her earlier this year that she try the chive fromage with scrambled eggs, and now tells everyone about it. And since we are experimenting with duck eggs this week, she wants to know how I feel about them next time I see her.

And duck eggs! Bigger, fattier, and with more omega-3s than chicken eggs, duck eggs are pretty darn tasty and give more bang for the buck, which is good because they are not cheap! Honestly, I can't tell the difference taste-wise between them and pastured chicken eggs, so I'm very pleased.

I'm updating while my little girl is sleeping off a tummy bug, poor girl, so I should go. Be back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment