Saturday, October 9, 2010

An Experiment: Making My Own Whey and Cream Cheese-Part 2

Yesterday I started my experiment making whey and cream cheese. By this morning, the yogurt had defnitely become smaller and more compact, and plenty of why was left in the bowl. jarred up the whey and put the cream cheese in a container. But we also had some of it with our breakfast this morning on our gluten-free toast.

So the big question is, how did it taste?

The cream cheese was sweet and tangy at the same time with a very smooth texture. My husband declared it to be fantastic-he can be a tough cream cheese customer-so I think that's it. I'm going to make my cream cheese from now on, now that I know it's so easy. Aparently, it's supposed to be good for a month, but I highly doubt it'll last that long.

As for the whey, well, I'm making beet kvass, which is a medicinal drink from Russia. I figured since I had the beets, I might as well. I'm sure I'll find some other uses for the whey, but since that will last up to 6 months, I have time to figure out what I'll do with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment