Friday, July 20, 2012

Mindful Omnivorism and Pagan Spirituality

In case you haven't noticed, I'm an omnivore. And here's a secret....we all are! That means something different to everyone, but basically, humans can freely consume animals and vegetables, whatever we choose! Wow! Now, many people shun animal -based food out of respect for the lives of animals. Others do it for health. I can completely understand both of these ideas, even though I personally disagree. Today, I'm going to talk about my personal standpoint on the matter. Feel free to chime in if you want to!

Point 1: all living things eventually die.
Death is not an option for anyone. It happens to all of us in the Great Cycle of Life. We are born, we grow up, and then we die. And it starts all over again. I personally believe in reincarnation also, so this cycle continues beyond this plane of existence. As above, so below, as it were.

Point 2: as all living beings are part of this cycle, we are all part of the Divine.
I could be better described as a Pantheist rather than a Polytheist (though I do think the Divine has many aspects as shown by the Gods). So, broccoli is as part of the divine as much as a cow is. Because of this, I don't believe there's any difference eating broccoli over a cow. And if something were to eat me, well, then, fine (not my personal preference, obviously). But I don't really put humans above animals above plants. We're all in this together, and we all have to eat something to survive. We all consume the other, as we're built to do.

Point 3: eat mindfully because we can.
I don't know if plants and animals eat mindfully, as I cannot ask them. But I know I can personally eat mindfully. So I do not choose my foods whether they be plant or animal; rather, I choose my foods based on how they were raised or grown. I think food tastes better and is better for you when love and care was given while the animal or plant was living, and preferably also in its death. I want my food supply to be local, organic, and/or pastured. I want it processed as little as possible so that it doesn't lose its benefits. And I thank my food before I consume it (most of the time, anyway. I'm far from perfect.)

Eating omnivorously has always been what my body craved. I've flirted with vegetarianism before as it's touted as superior ethically and healthfully. But my body disagreed. I am moving toward my body's highest potential eating omnivorously (even with all of my restrictions). I am losing weight, gaining muscle, and resolving hormonal and digestive issues. My skin glows. I am finding my inner Goddess. She was always there, but She's coming out now! Isn't that truly Divine?

Find this post and other great blogs at Fight Back Friday hosted by Food Renegade!

No comments:

Post a Comment