Friday, October 8, 2010

An Experiment: Making My Own Whey and Cream Cheese-Part 1

I'm still fairly new to the Traditional Foods-style of eating. I've overcome my lingering fears of animal fats by being a stickler for the highest quality of ethical animal products that I can find and afford thus far. Processed foods are farly minimal, but I'd eventually like to take it further. I'm gluten-free, for now anyway, though I'd like to bring wheat back into my diet, albeit on a very limited scale, and then either my grains will be sprouted or soured.

But there are a few sectors of TF eating that I have yet to embrace. One of them is the world of lactofermentation. But why would I want to do this? We're coming into the colder season, and whey, the main agent here, is a preservative. It would be great to preserve the remaining harvested vegetables for the winter. Not only that, but lactofermentation encourages the growth of good bacteria and enzymes, as well as increases the sheer amounts of vitamins and minerals in the vegetables. This post from the Lost Arts Kitchen gives a fuller explanation that I can give: http://lostartskitchen.blogspot.com/2009/02/lacto-fermentation-ancient-process.html

So back to what I'm doing today. I'm starting with the frst step: making whey. The process I'm using is from Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon. I have two cups of whole plain yogurt (from Jersey cows, who produce a fattier milk, complete with more protein and calcium) being strained over a colander lined with cheesecloth. After a few hours, I'm going to tie up the cheesecloth in such a way that will drip into a glass bottle. Since I've just started it, I don't know how long this first batch will take, but it could take as long as a day or two. But I'll have whey, which will last up to 6 months in my refrigerator. I'll also have my own cream cheese! Who needs Philly cream cheese when I can make it so easily at home! I can't wait to try it!

Part 2 will come when I'm done making it. see you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment